We have extensive experience in carrying out drawing appraisals and preparing access statements for a wide range of residential developments – from individual dwellings and blocks of flats to sheltered housing schemes, extra-care facilities and student accommodation. We work with clients throughout the UK.
We work closely with design teams and can be involved in projects from inception to completion or, depending on requirements, be appointed for individual stages only. We review plans – typically at planning stage – in order to assess their accessibility and, crucially, identify access issues at as early a stage as possible, helping to reduce potential for costly amendments at a later date.
Viva Access Consultants include architects as well as professionals with previous experience as access officers for planning and building control services.
ACCESS STRATEGIES (ACCESS STATEMENTS)
Access statements encourage consideration of access from the inception of a scheme and can also be helpful when projects are required to deviate from accepted guidance – due to site constraints for example – by clarifying both the need for the deviation and the alternatives proposed. They are useful tools in promoting inclusive design and in helping to ensure buildings and environments are accessible for all users, including those who are older or disabled. Access statements are often required for large scale planning applications.
HOW WE WILL WORK WITH YOU
- We discuss your project with you and clarify the brief.
- You email us your drawings and we assess them against agreed accessibility standards.
- We provide you with formal feedback via: annotations and typewritten notes on drawings; emailed commentary; reports.
- We prepare access statements, as requested.
- We communicate with you continually about your project, whether by telephone, email or in person.
If you would like to have an informal discussion about our services, please contact us.