Bathroom Adaptation & Design – Part 1
3 CPD hours
This module focuses on issues that are essential for occupational therapists and other professionals involved in the design or adaptation of bathrooms for older and disabled people. It is a stand-alone course and can be attended on its own or in tandem with Part 2.
This course will cover:
- Client considerations for bathrooms
- Access and egress: different types of doorway solutions
- Key design principles for bathrooms, including turning circles; access and transfer zones around WC pan, bath and wash basin; heights & positioning of fittings & fixtures; dry zones & wet zones, and more
- Emergency release mechanisms (doors) for vulnerable users
- Space planning within bathrooms
- Overview of shower and shower-wc options
- Measuring the user: assessing individual requirements for wheelchair turning circles (turning spaces)
- Some lighting considerations
- Signposting to useful design guidance
- Electronic handouts (PDFs) provided
- Digital Attendance Certificates issued for 3 CPD hours
- Our online courses are interactive and typically include some or all of the following: powerpoint presentations, case studies, desktop exercises using drawings, practical exercises – utlising videos, discussion groups and break-out rooms, Q&As with trainers.